It’s everyone’s favorite time in the summer. Time to pack up your beach bag and head down to the shore to see the ultimate fireworks display of the season! 4th of July is around the corner and what better way to celebrate than with some delicious, patriotic cookies? This recipe is super easy and has the most beautiful red, white, and blue aesthetic for the holiday. We know the kiddos will love it at your family BBQ or beach picnic. You’re welcome!
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
- Asher’s Sandwich Cookies (1 ½ packages – 18 pieces/caddy)
- Red Candy Melts (1 package)
- Royal Blue Candy Melts (1 package)
- Red, White and Blue Sprinkles
- Place wax paper onto a flat surface, preferably a cutting board or baking sheet. Clear a space for this cutting board or baking sheet in your refrigerator.
- Place 15 red candy melts into a sealable sandwich bag, unsealed. Place 15 blue candy melts into another sealable sandwich bag, unsealed. Set both bags aside.
- Place the remaining blue candy into a microwave safe bowl. Microwave on high for 2 minutes, stirring every 30 seconds until melted.
- Dip sandwich cookie into the melted chocolate and cover the cookie.
- Flip the cookie over with a fork and gently lift out of the bowl, wiping excess on the edge.
- Place onto a prepared cutting board or baking sheet. We suggest placing the parchment paper down first.
- Repeat until you have half of the cookies coated.
- Cover the remaining cookies with the red just as you did for the blue.
- Place the dipped cookie into the refrigerator to set. Once set, remove from the refrigerator.
- Place the sandwich bag of red candy melts into the microwave. Heat for 45 seconds, checking every 15 seconds and kneading until melted.
- Snip the end of the bag and drizzle the candy onto the blue cookies and sprinkle with red, white, and blue sprinkles.
- Repeat with the blue candy melts and drizzle them onto the red cookies and top with sprinkles.
How to Store
We recommend storing chocolate covered sandwich cookies in an airtight container at room temperature. Place cookies in a single layer then place a parchment paper between the layers for easy storing. By using parchment paper, it is easy to grab a cookie and prevents them from sticking in the container.
For a fun twist, try changing the recipe with these suggestions:
- Change the cookie – You can try Asher’s Milk/Dark Chocolate Graham Cracker, Milk Chocolate Covered Animal Crackers, Milk Chocolate Peanut Butter Cup, etc.
- Add a stick the cookie – You can easily add a stick to the sandwich cookie. It would resemble a cake ball or lollipop.
- Change the candy melts – These colors we used are perfect for the patriotic holidays but feel free to change the colors if you’re looking to make these for another holiday you are celebrating.
- Use different sprinkles – You can use a large variety of different shapes and colors instead of white. It’s completely up to you!
*Keep in mind our sandwich cookies are already hand-dipped in chocolate so this will be the ultimate sweet treat with 2 layers of flavorful, creamy chocolate!
Website Used: https://www.eatingonadime.com/4th-of-july-chocolate-covered-oreos/